AutomationDirect C-More Touch Panels
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 10.0
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: AutomationDirect
- Equipment: C-More Touch Panels EA9 Series
- Vulnerability: Insufficiently Protected Credentials
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to get account information such as usernames and passwords, obscure or manipulate process data, and lock out access to the device.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of C-More Touch Panels, a software management platform, are affected:
- C-More Touch Panels EA9 series: firmware versions prior to 6.53
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
It is possible to unmask credentials and other sensitive information on “unprotected” project files, which may allow an attacker to remotely access the system and manipulate system configurations.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Commercial Facilities, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
Joel Langill of Amentum Mission Engineering & Resilience reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Automation Direct recommends users to upgrade to Version 6.53
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.