1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Grundfos Pumps Corporation
- Equipment: CIM 500
- Vulnerabilities: Missing Authentication for Critical Function, Unprotected Storage of Credentials
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow access to cleartext credential data.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Grundfos CIM 500 are affected:
- All versions prior to v06.16.00
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product responds to unauthenticated requests for password storage files.
The affected product stores plaintext credentials, which may allow sensitive information to be read or allow modification to system settings by someone with access to the device.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Water
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Denmark
Marcin Dudek from CERT.PL reported these vulnerabilities to CISA.
Grundfos recommends updating to firmware v06.16.00 and to change user credentials after updating.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.