Siemens SIMATIC IT Production Suite
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
CVSS v3 7.7
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC IT Production Suite
- Vulnerability: Improper Authentication
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to compromise confidentiality, integrity and availability of the system.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Siemens reports this vulnerability affects the following products:
- SIMATIC IT LMS all versions,
- SIMATIC IT Production Suite: Versions 7.1 prior to Version 7.1 Upd3, and
- SIMATIC IT UA Discrete Manufacturing versions prior to Version 2.4
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
3.2.1 IMPROPER AUTHENTICATION CWE-287
An attacker with network access to the installation could bypass the application-level authentication.
CVE-2018-13804 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 7.7 has been calculated; the CVSS vector string is (AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:L).
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to NCCIC.
Siemens provides updates to address this vulnerability in these products and recommends users update to the new version.
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations users can apply to reduce the risk:
- Restrict network access to affected installations.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for industrial security (https://www.siemens.com/cert/operational-guidelines-industrial-security), and following the recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found at:
For more information on this vulnerability and associated software updates, please see Siemens’ security advisory SSA-886615 on their website:
NCCIC recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. High skill level is needed to exploit.