1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
CVSS v3 5.3
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit/public exploits are available
- Vendor: PEPPERL+FUCHS
- Equipment: WirelessHART-Gateways
- Vulnerability: Path Traversal
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow access to files and restricted directories stored on the device through the manipulation of file parameters.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
- PEPPERL+FUCHS reports that all WHA-GW-* products are affected.
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
A path traversal vulnerability has been identified, which may allow unauthorized disclosure of information.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Information Technology
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
PEPPERL+FUCHS reported this vulnerability to [email protected]
PEPPERL+FUCHS reports that affected users with WHA-GW-*-ETH devices should upgrade to firmware Version 03.00.08. Affected users with WHA-GW-*-ETH.EIP devices should upgrade to firmware Version 02.00.01.
NCCIC recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.