Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk Services Platform
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level.
- Vendor: Rockwell Automation
- Equipment: FactoryTalk Services Platform
- Vulnerability: Improper Input Validation
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an unauthenticated attacker to execute remote COM objects with elevated privileges.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
All versions of FactoryTalk Services Platform are affected.
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product’s redundancy host service (RdcyHost.exe) does not validate supplied identifiers, which could allow an unauthenticated, adjacent attacker to execute remote COM objects with elevated privileges.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Food and Agriculture, Transportation Systems, and Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
Affected users are encouraged to use Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase article 25612 to determine if FactoryTalk Services Platform is installed. Those using the affected product are directed to implement a secure communication strategy as outlined in Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase article 109056.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.