1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 6.1
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: Spectrum Power 5
- Vulnerability: Improper Neutralization of Script-Related HTML Tags in a Web Page (Basic XSS)
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could affect the confidentiality or integrity of the data and programming of the device.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Spectrum Power 5 grid control system are affected:
- Spectrum Power 5: All version prior to 5.50 HF02
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The web server could allow cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks if unsuspecting users are tricked into accessing a malicious link.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
The Kudelski Security Pen-testing Team coordinated this vulnerability with Siemens. Siemens reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Siemens recommends the following mitigations users can apply to reduce the risk:
- Do not open unknown links while working on Spectrum Power 5.
- Contact Siemens Energy Customer Support Center at [email protected] or contact a Siemens representative.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends users protect network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends users configure the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for Industrial Security, and follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.