1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit/public exploits are available
- Vendor: OpenClinic GA is a product of open-source collaboration on Source Forge
- Equipment: OpenClinic GA
- Vulnerabilities: Authentication Bypass Using an Alternate Path or Channel, Improper Restriction of Excessive Authentication Attempts, Improper Authentication, Missing Authorization, Execution with Unnecessary Privileges, Unrestricted Upload of File with Dangerous Type, Path Traversal, Improper Authorization, Cross-site Scripting, Use of Unmaintained Third-Party Components, Insufficiently Protected Credentials, Hidden Functionality
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to bypass authentication, discover restricted information, view/manipulate restricted database information, and/or execute malicious code.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of OpenClinic GA, an open-source integrated hospital information management system, are affected:
- OpenClinic GA Version 5.09.02
- OpenClinic GA Version 5.89.05b
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An attacker may bypass client-side access controls or use a crafted request to initiate a session with limited functionality, which may allow execution of admin functions such as SQL queries.
An attacker can bypass the system’s account lockout protection, which may allow brute force password attacks.
An authentication mechanism within the system does not contain sufficient complexity to protect against brute force attacks, which may allow unauthorized users to access the system after no more than a fixed maximum number of attempts.
The system does not properly check permissions before executing SQL queries, which may allow a low-privilege user to access privileged information.
A low-privilege user may use SQL syntax to write arbitrary files to the server, which may allow the execution of arbitrary commands.
CVE-2020-14493 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 8.8 has been calculated; the CVSS vector string is (AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H).
The system does not properly verify uploaded files, which may allow a low-privilege user to upload and execute arbitrary files on the system.
The system includes arbitrary local files specified within its parameter and executes some files, which may allow disclosure of sensitive files or the execution of malicious uploaded files.
An attacker may bypass permission/authorization checks by ignoring the redirect of a permission failure, which may allow unauthorized execution of commands.
The system does not properly neutralize user-controllable input, which may allow the execution of malicious code within the user’s browser.
The system contains third-party software versions that are end-of-life and contain known vulnerabilities, which may allow remote code execution.
The system stores passwords using inadequate hashing complexity, which may allow an attacker to recover passwords using known password cracking techniques.
3.2.12 HIDDEN FUNCTIONALITY CWE-912
The system contains a hidden default user account that may be accessed if an administrator has not expressly turned off this account, which may allow an attacker to login and execute arbitrary commands.
Does not affect Version 5.89.05b.