Digi ConnectPort X2D
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 10.0
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Digi International, Inc.
- Equipment: ConnectPort X2D Gateway
- Vulnerability: Execution with Unnecessary Privileges
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to execute malicious actions resulting in code execution.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Digi products are affected:
- Digi ConnectPort X2D Gateway: All firmware versions in devices manufactured prior to January 2020
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An attacker may be able to execute malicious actions due to the lack of device access protections and device permissions when using the web application. This could lead to uploading python files which can be later executed.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Multiple Sectors
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
Aarón Flecha of S21sec reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Digi International indicated this vulnerability does not exist in ConnectPort gateways manufactured after January 2020. It is recommended to contact Digi International support for assistance with impacted devices manufactured prior to January 2020.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B–Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.